Monday, December 29, 2014

Update

Well I know its been a while, but wow. The Surgery in 2012 was suppose to be a good fix, and it was for a while. The Melody Valve lasted almost a yr. and a half. In the Summer of 2013 I noticed my body was slowing down, changing, and not for the better. It was a stressful time of year. in July I went to the cardiologist and they noticed things weren't good but wanted to keep an eye on things. While I was dealing with quitting one job and finding another with health benefits, stress didn't help, I went in in September and they noticed things were changing still and planned for an ultrasound in November. That ultrasound and an MRI told them that what I was feeling was actually happening. my Melody Valve had calcified. Blood was barely getting through my heart. They told me I needed Open Heart Surgery immediately. Surgery was Scheduled for Jan 21 2014. I told my new boss, had health insurance, and they even agreed to keep me covered while I was out for surgery and recovery. Leading up to the surgery I was fine, I talked to the Dr, I knew what was going to happen. its not like it was new for me... it being my 5th heart surgery. I worked up until the day before. I was ok with everything, I talked it through with B and answered any questions he had. he seemed ok... a little scared but ok about everything. The Morning of the Surgery we got to the hospital we got there first. Ramona came a bit after and visited me in the pre-op room. the whole family took turns. I was ok I was terrified but I was holding it together. Then I got a text from B that he was there in the waiting room, and when he appeared around the curtain i burst into tears. I was relived, happy, feeling loved and terrified all at once. He came and was there for me. He even took the week off of work. He was there when I was wheeled into the Operating room. I was told later that a lot of family came. My surgery took a little longer than planned, which scared them a little. My aunt told me how precious B was and how relived he was when the Dr came in the room. Once I woke up he was there.. he was there even for his birthday. My stay in the hospital was fairly nice, i got xrays every day and had to take walks immediately to get me uo and moving. i was sick and in pain and not eating and throwing up. I had drainage tubes connected to me most of the days i was there and i remember the pain of them taking them out. I was discharged from the hospital January 29th. I took my own stitches out a few weeks later once they started to hurt and change colors. That's not even the best part. The Best part is that I no longer have an awkward bump on my scar, i have a new flat scar, that healed very well. I also have a brand new heart beat. A REGULAR HEART BEAT! for the first time ever! every once in a while it gets a bit wonky but its for minutes not yrs. Im still building up energy but i feel so much better. Im just hoping this one holds.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you posted this! I was wanting to be more in touch with how it went for you. I was there in spirit! Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete